- Represents the following school districts in north central & northeast Kansas District 6
- First elected to the State Board in 2012
- Committee Assignments — KSSD/KNEA Bargaining Team and assistant Legislative Coordinator; served two terms on the Professional Practices Commission.
- Retired educator with 41 years experience teaching (two years in the elementary classroom and 39 as an art instructor at middle and high school levels; recipient of the Master Teacher Award
- Spent 16 years in the Kansas House of Representatives for District 69 in Salina, with leadership roles on the House Education Committee and Legislative Education Planning Joint Committee; one of three new legislators selected to represent Kansas at the Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development
- Member of the Eisenhower Public Service Series Class of 2011 and was Chairperson of the Coin Commission that had oversight on the design and selection of the Kansas Quarter
Mrs. Horst holds Bachelor’s and Master’s degrees in art education and an EdD in Education Administration and Leadership. She is a member of the Emporia State University Alumni Board and is active with a number of Salina area organizations including the Salina Area Chamber of Commerce and Rotary International. She and her husband Gordon live in Salina. They have two grown children.