Provisional licenses are available to licensed educators who are completing an approved preparation program in a new teaching field OR a school specialist program for school counselor, library media or reading specialist. A provisional license is available at the point where a prescribed portion of the new program is completed and a district wants to hire you in the new field. The provisional license is a two year license. It may be renewed for an additional two years by making appropriate progress on the remaining coursework.
NOTE: Provisionals are not available for school leadership licenses.
What are the requirements for a Provisional Teaching Endorsement License?
- You must already hold a valid teaching license in another subject.
- 50% of the program for the new teaching area is complete.
- A Kansas district must verify you are assigned to teach in the provisional subject area at the appropriate level.
- To qualify for a second provisional, you must have completed half of the remaining coursework deficiencies. (Have 75% of the approved program completed.)
NOTE: Provisionals are not available for K-6 elementary endoresments.
What are the requirements for a Provisional Teaching Endorsement License in Special Education?
- You must already hold a valid teaching license in a general education subject.
- Coursework in the areas of methodology, characteristics and a practicum is already completed.
- A Kansas district must verify you are assigned to teach in the provisional special education area at the appropriate level.
What are the requirements for a Provisional School Specialist License for school counselor, library media, reading specialist?
- You must hold a valid 5 year certificate or 5 year professional teaching license.
- 50% of the school specialist program is complete.
- A Kansas district must verify you will be assigned as a school specialist.
How do I start a program for a new teaching subject or for a school specialist?
You need to contact a college or university that offers an approved program in the teaching endorsement area you are seeking. After you review the list of institutions offering the approved program and have decided on the one you want to work with, contact the licensure officer (Word Document) at the institution for a plan of study.